Monday, October 1, 2007

I don't know much about Myanmar but . . .

neither really does anyone else around here.

So far, I buy that the Burmese military has launched a brutal crackdown against oppositional supporters and Buddhist monks. HRW says so, and they have yet to steer me wrong. Their take on the situation makes sense, given that the Burmese military has been a great customer on the international arms market, including and especially with the "good guys," according to this article from March 2000, ostensibly from Jane's Intelligence Review.

(As an aside, Jane's Defense Weekly is probably happy about that, given the fact that the publication runs on weapons advertisements.

)

Unlike HRW, FOX, CNN, and the National Post aren't, as far as I've seen, giving the story prominence, but then I haven't had much time to keep track.

As soon as they do, I will start to get suspicious.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: